“Seeing light is the real challenge as a photographer, knowing what to do with light is your goal. “
— Stuart Schwartz
The Image Flow is now offering an online photography course of Leanne Hansen’s popular Language of Light Photography Workshop. This five-hour private online photography class has been re-designed as One-on-One Video Sessions via Zoom and divided into 3 individual sessions.
This online photography course is designed to help build your visual vocabulary and create original, expressive photographs with natural and found light.
Photographers often think in terms of an object that we want to photograph: a building, a scene in a park, a mountain, or a person. Yet we cannot move beyond basic documentation without fully understanding the qualities of light that surround our subjects, the way the camera “sees” light, and the creative tools we can use to make the most of the light that is available. In this workshop, we will build and practice our “light vocabulary” so that we can expand the way that we see light when we are making photographs.
Three interactive online photography lessons are designed to illuminate concepts and inspire you to try new ways of photographing based on the light available to you. Through individual practice and assignments, you will practice what you have learned on location, and in each online session we will review your work in detail.
Online Photography Class Details
Concepts and Skills We Will Practice
- Seeing and photographing the dynamic qualities of light
- Managing the technical features of your camera to capture the light you love: ISO, shutter speed, and aperture; RAW vs. JPEG; working with the histogram, multiple exposures, and dynamic range; preparing for shooting outdoors and in low light
- Developing creative ideas and strategies that help you to make a photograph that matches your unique vision: Framing and POV; prospecting for personal and compelling shots; using screens and reflections; using different lenses; and learning from the pros
- Applying visual design concepts for stronger composition
Online Photography Lesson Schedule
- Session 1: (2 hours) Introduction, Lesson 1, Assignment
- Session 2: (1.5 hours) Online Critique, Lesson 2, Assignment
- Session 3: (1.5 hours) Online Critique, Lightroom Demo, Lesson 3
Call or Email to schedule a session
Leanne Hansen works as a commercial and fine art photographer in Marin County CA and Bozeman MT. She has participated in numerous group shows at The Image Flow, the O’Hanlon Center for the Arts, and Marin Open Studios has been published in the Bay Area Where Guestbook and Edible Marin and Wine Country, and her fine art prints are included in private and corporate collections across the country. Leanne has taught several popular workshops at The Image Flow including Language of Light, Motion Blur for Expressive Images, Composition in Photography, & Studio Lighting: Flowers & Found Objects.
Workshop presented by The Image Flow Photography Center, providing photography classes, custom printing services, and fine art reproduction.
Zoom is video conferencing software that allows us to video chat and share our screens all using our computer’s built-in video camera and microphone. Setting up a Zoom account is easy and free. Just got to the Zoom website to create a username and download the software onto your computer (not your phone). Never used Zoom? Check out their support page for How to Join a Zoom Meeting.